It is the philosophy of St. Paul Catholic School to believe in the value of each child as a unique individual loved by God. We strive to create an environment that will challenge the students to grow to their fullest academic potential and to develop a healthy acceptance of self and a Christian respect for others. Proper hygiene and attire attribute significantly to this effort. The following dress code policy applies to students in Pre4/Jr. Kindergarten through 8th grade:
- Solid white, navy or light blue polo-style, with a collar and long or short sleeves. Turtlenecks, mock turtlenecks, oxford shirts, dress shirts/blouse-style are also included in the dress code.
- Crewneck sweatshirts, Quarter-zip sweatshirts, and sweaters (crew, V-neck, vest or cardigan style) in solid navy, light blue or white that are waist-length and appropriately sized may also be worn. Shirts may be worn with a t-shirt or turtleneck underneath. Shirts worn underneath the uniform shirt should be a solid color and may not have any visible writing or pictures.
- All shirts, sweatshirts, and sweaters shall be free of name brand logos (e.g. Nike, Under Armour, Adidas). Only plain or school approved logos may be worn on dress code clothing. Shirts with approved school logos will be offered for purchase at the start of the school year. Local vendors may also sell shirts with approved logos. Teachers and administrators reserve the right to ask the student to remove sweatshirts/hoodies if any safety, behavioral, or appearance concerns arise.
- Only uniform sweatshirts and sweaters may be allowed in the classroom during the school day.
- Viking Spirit Wear shirts may be worn on designated days as determined by administration.
Pants and Shorts
- Navy or khaki, plain, trouser-style pants and shorts with flat or pleated front. Low-waist, hipster, jeggings, or any type of tight-fitting pants are prohibited. The hem of the pants shall not touch the floor. Pants/shorts may not be of jean material, have rivets, extra buttons, extra pockets, etc. Pants/shorts must be purchased from approved vendors (i.e. French Toast, Old Navy, Gap, Children’s Place, or other vendors which sell clothing free of logos).
- With the student standing upright with arms extended down at his/her side, shorts may be no shorter than the bottom of the student’s fingertips and/or no more than 4” above the knee. Shorts may be worn beginning April 15 through October 31. Girls may also wear capri pants, which shall be considered shorts for purposes of this section. They should not be low-waist or too tight as deemed by the teachers and/or administration.
Jumpers, Skorts, and Skirts
- Navy, khaki, or approved plaid jumpers, skorts or skirts in specified styles must be longer than the extended fingertips and/or no more than 4” above the knee (see above shorts). Girls must wear shorts or leggings (white, light blue, or navy) underneath jumpers or skirts. The only plaid option allowed is from the brand French Toast in the BLUE GOLD PLAID style (Item#1397 & 1047).
Dress code clothing can be purchased online through the approved vendor, www.frenchtoast.com. Search for St. Paul Catholic School using Source Code: QS45MQW.
Shoes and Socks
- Shoes and socks must be worn at all times.
- Tennis shoes or leather/oxford style shoes that blend with the clothing. Extreme colors/styles (as determined by staff) will not be allowed.
- Shoes that leave black marks are prohibited. For students’ safety, open-toed, heeled shoes, and boots are also prohibited. Shoes must be properly tied at all times. In snowy conditions, snow boots may be worn to school, but students must bring regular school shoes that meet the above-stated requirements to change into upon arrival.
- Students must wear belts with pants, shorts, and capris that have belt loops. Belts must be solid brown, black, or navy. Belts are optional for pre-school and kindergarten
- Jewelry must be kept to a minimum. Earrings should be kept close to the earlobe (post style, no large hoops) with a maximum of two (2) earrings per ear. Boys may not wear earrings. All jewelry must be removed for PE and sports. In the case of newly pierced ears, earrings must be “taped” for safety.
Hair and Makeup
- Hair must be neat and clean. For boys, hair must be no longer than the eyebrows and must not touch the shirt collar in back or the opening of the ear on the sides. Extreme hairstyles are prohibited for all students. Unnatural hair color or trendy hairstyles are not allowed. Minimal makeup is allowed for girls in 7th/8th No dark liners for eyes/lips or bright eye/lip colors.
- Students in grades 5-8 must change into athletic clothing for PE. PE attire consists of athletic-style gym shorts (see dress code policy for appropriate length), sweatpants, and T-shirts. Shorts or pants may not contain any logo or words on the seat. T-shirts may contain any official logo of St. Paul Parish and/or St. Paul Catholic School. T-shirts must not contain wording or images that conflict with the message of Catholic Education. PE attire must be labeled with the student’s last name. PE attire may not be worn in the classroom.
Preschool 3-year-old students do not have a specific dress code for clothing, but the dress code policy regarding shoes, as stated above, must be followed. Pre-school parents should review the Casual Dress Days section below for details regarding casual dress and/or spirit dress days.
Casual Dress Days
Certain days of the school year are designated as casual dress days. On these days, students may wear shirts that are clean, neat and in good repair. These shirts may not contain wording or abbreviations that refer to any subjects that conflict with the message of Catholic Education, such as violence and death, sex, illegal drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, ethnic slurs, profanity, street gangs, rock concerts or performers or any other non-Christian subject matter. All shirts or tops must have sleeves. Sheer or crop tops, low-cut, see-through mesh, or back cut-out tops may not be worn. Shirts or tops must be long enough to tuck in or cover the waistband of pants.
Pants or jeans that are clean, neat, loose fitting, and in good repair may be worn. Sweatpants are acceptable as long as they are loose fitting. On casual dress days beginning April 15 through October 31, clean, neat, loose fitting shorts may be worn. Shorts may be no more than 4” above the knee. Shoes that are appropriate for school must be worn on casual dress days as a safety precaution.
Unless otherwise modified by this section, the regular dress code shall remain in full force and effect.
Fridays, unless otherwise specified, are designated as spirit dress days. Students may wear any St. Paul Catholic School athletic team wear or school logo wear, along with dress code bottoms. Please see above for dress code guidelines.
It is the responsibility of each parent to ensure that the dress code is followed by his/her children. It is the responsibility of the teachers and school administration to ensure that students adhere to this code. Parents will be notified of a dress code violation and, if necessary, will be required to bring a change of clothes to school before the offending student may return to class. Dress code violations will result in appropriate disciplinary action. Repeated violations may result in a suspension. Students may be required to change into appropriate clothing provided by the office.